- This event has passed.
Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training
March 15 - March 16
Axis Health System will host a 2-day Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST) on March 15 and 16 (9 a.m. to 4 p.m.) at Archuleta Integrated Healthcare in Pagosa Springs. Participants don’t need any formal training to attend. Anyone 16 or older can learn and use the ASIST model. Spots are limited — please reserve in advance.
Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST) is a two-day interactive workshop in suicide first aid. ASIST teaches participants to recognize when someone may have thoughts of suicide and work with them to create a plan that will support their immediate safety. Although ASIST is widely used by healthcare providers, participants don’t need any formal training to attend the workshop—anyone 16 or older can learn and use the ASIST model.
Since its development in 1983, ASIST has received regular updates to reflect improvements in knowledge and practice, and over 1,000,000 people have taken the workshop. Studies show that the ASIST method helps reduce suicidal feelings in those at risk and is a cost-effective way to help address the problem of suicide.
Over the course of their two-day workshop, ASIST participants learn to:
- Understand the ways that personal and societal attitudes affect views on suicide and interventions
- Provide guidance and suicide first aid to a person at risk in ways that meet their individual safety needs
- Identify the key elements of an effective suicide safety plan and the actions required to implement it
- Appreciate the value of improving and integrating suicide prevention resources in the community at large
- Recognize other important aspects of suicide prevention including life-promotion and self-care
- Presentations and guidance from two LivingWorks registered trainers
- A scientifically proven intervention model
- Powerful audiovisual learning aids
- Group discussions
- Skills practice and development
- A balance of challenge and safety
To register, email your name, job position, agency/organization, email, and phone number to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have other questions regarding Axis/Archuleta Integrated Healthcare, please feel free to contact Haley Leonard Saunders, Director of Public Relations at email@example.com or 314.368.2723. Visit us online at https://www.axishealthsystem.org/locations/pagosa-springs/archuleta-integrated-healthcare.